25 April 2016

Raglan Castle and Tintern Abbey


Last week, members of GAO (Graduate Archaeology at Oxford) went to Wales. It felt so good to get out of Oxford. Even though Oxford is a city, after a while it starts to be just like a small town. Besides, I don't have a lot of time to get out of the Sackler Library to see the sunlight as often as I would like (there isn't that much sunlight anyway). We were very lucky because it was warm and sunny, and we got to see some of the oldest forests in the UK blooming with blue, purple, and white flowers (especially around the Wye). This is a beautiful time of year!

Raglan Castle


I won't say too much about the history of this fifteenth-century castle, because you can read it here, but I will say that I was impressed. First, it was my first time actually visiting a castle in Wales (ya...), and second its history makes me feel all historical inside. This castle is highly defensible, but was built at a time when there was no more need for defenses. So it became a retreat for the wealthy aristocrats to come have tea at 5pm and walk around the moat. Unfortunately, much of its splendor was looted during the Civil Wars in the 17th century. That is sad, considering that there were incredible manuscripts inside and cool Roman busts, now all gone. The best part is that Raglan feels a little like Disneyland: you can climb everywhere, and there are plastic medieval props to make everything look more real (see picture number 4? That was a candle + spyglass + mirror device used to keep the food warm! WOO).
 

Tintern Abbey


Now this was something completely different. Imagine a HUGE cathedral disposed of its roof, sheathing, floor, basically everything but the stone skeleton that kept it up. YE, that is Tintern Abbey. Again, this abbey is HUGE. You can learn more about its history here, but I must say that for one of the first times in my life, I dint't look at the plan of the structure upon visiting its archaeological site. There is an ghostly, intoxicating echo in the nave and aisles of the main building; I didn't even leave my bench in the sun to see the grounds around the abbey. Besides, there are white doves nesting in here, so that the only things you hear are the sound of birds, and the wind resonating on the walls. It was a spiritual experience, and sublime. 




No comments: